Choosing the Right Accent Chair for Your Living Room
A great accent chair can be a statement piece all on its own, or it can blend into the room’s other elements. Use the following tips to help you choose and decorate an accent chair for your living room.
Types of Accent Chairs
It helps to know the names of different accent chairs to help you find the style you want. Here are some of the most common types and how they’re used:
- Slipper chair: This petite, armless chair is scaled for smaller spaces. You can typically find it in living rooms, bedrooms, or offices where less visual weight is desired.
- Wingback chair: The historical purpose of this large-scale, high-backed armchair was to block cold drafts when sitting by the fire. Wingback chairs are usually traditional in design, but you can find modern versions, too.
- Club chair: The deep seat of a club chair makes it a great place for napping. Look for traditional or modern styles to suit your decor.
- Barrel chair: The name implies its shape. Barrel chairs feature fully curved backs and a low profile for a chic, comfortable addition to any living room.
- Swivel chair: Consider a swivel chair if you want to accommodate flexible furniture arrangements. With its swiveling, sometimes rocking base, it will become the most popular seat in the house.
Choosing a Living Room Accent Chair
Once you pick the style of chair you want, you still have a few more questions to answer:
- Neutral or accent color? If your sofa is a neutral color, choose a bolder hue for your accent chair. Pick a color that offsets the curtains, area rug, or other decor.
- Solid or patterned fabric? If the sofa is a solid color, a patterned accent chair is a great way to introduce some much-needed interest.
- What upholstery type? Your options range from polyester to velvet, leather to microfiber. Choose a fabric that either closely matches or highly contrasts your sofa.
- One chair or two? This depends on the space in your living room and whether you prefer symmetry or asymmetry.
Completing the Look
The right accent chair looks beautiful on its own, but it never hurts to add a throw blanket or pillow, which is like jewelry for an accent chair. This touch of color, texture, and pattern also makes the chair more comfortable. Once you find the right accent chair, consider getting a side table, lamp, or ottoman to go with it.
If you’re in the market for a new living room accent chair, check out what Home Consignment Center has to offer. Visit one of our locations in California or Texas, and you’ll discover a wide-selection of ever changing designer pieces at fantastic prices. If you need to make room for a new accent chair, consider consigning your high-end furniture with us. We’re here to help!
Find a Home Consignment Center near you to experience the thrill of the hunt for yourself!